We are so busy with our lives we forget sometimes about our health and all the harm we are doing to our bodies. That is why we thought about our unhealthy habits and how to get rid of them.
Unfortunately, Fast food is the fastest way to satisfy our hunger. In Saudi Arabia, eating fast food is a choice made so easy in your everyday life with the drive-thru windows, food courts and online ordering application, etc…
Fast food are full of sugar, sodium, calories and fat and low in nutrients. There are often enough calories in one meal enough for the day!
When you want to order fast food, try to choose the healthiest fast food and just think about those factors:
- Low fat, high protein, high fiber (Whole grains, good quality protein)
- Added sugar (Sodas, deserts, ketchup, mayonnaise, salad dressing
- Sodium intake
- Portion size
And think about substitute some ingredients with others:
- Grilled chicken vs crispy chicken
- Baked potato vs French fries
- Juice/Water vs than sodas
- Avocado vs Mayonnaise
- Meals with vegetables
Of course eating at home help you have a better balanced meal with vegetables, proteins, carbohydrates and fats!
In Saudi Arabia, the use of the car is so important that we never walk to go to some place! Streets aren’t made for walking and the weather doesn’t help too, 6 months a year.
You can either go to the gym weekly or walk around the King Fahd Medical City, Prince Sultan University or even in Wadi Hanifah at night.
Here are some benefits for exercising:
- Reduce stress and increase relaxation
- Improve mood
- Boost energy
- Sharpen memory
- Help having better sleep
- Enhance creativity
- Healthy aging
- Better physical health (Fewer chronic illnesses, Reduced risk of obesity
- Higher self-esteem
Being in a dry area, the low humidity and dry air in Riyadh can cause dry cracked skin, eye irritation, respiratory problems, allergies for some people….
The humidity can improve with a humidifier at home and it is very important to drink water, carry a bottle of water anywhere you go.
Here are some benefits of staying hydrated:
- Weight loss
- Skin elasticity (water helps your skin moist and lessen your risk of infections, acne, and dry issues)
- Improve mood
- Temperature control
- Memory function
- Prevent Cancer
- Flush out waste, toxins and bacteria
- Prevent headaches.
- Joint lubrication
- Healthy bowel function
- Better immune health
You can get water from vegetables and fruits, not only from fluids.
4. Sun and heat protection
Even though sometimes it could be so hot outdoor, we tend to spend sometimes under the sun in the heat. We thoughts about some tips that could protect your skin from the sun:
- Put on Sunscreen
- Avoid being under the sun between 10.00 am and 2.00 pm.
- Sand can reflect the damaging rays of the sun and increase the risk of getting sunburned.
- Wear Sunglasses
- Wear long long-sleeved shirt, long pants, and a hat that shades the face, neck, and ears.
- Don’t leave water bottles and medicines that could be sensitive to the heat in the car